I made myself a Colette Crepe dress a while ago, with some very sheer cotton/silk mix fabric. I made a muslin for the top, but as this dress is a wrap dress, I feel that it was pretty impossible to properly assess the fit. I did alter the waist dart, making it more curved, fitting under the bust better....however, now that I have the whole thing made I feel that the shoulders are too loose. I have pretty big square shoulders, so I am surprised by this.
I feel that you could pull the back of the muslin to fit, but with the real dress, you are limited by breathing, how much you can tighten the ties! I made the back a bit narrower while I was making it...it only helps a little.
I also decided to line this fully....I ran into problems finishing the outside edges of the wrap skirt...the lining was heavier than the main fabric, and it push outwards, showing and puckering. I am a terror for not following instructions totally, and then I have to work out the solutions myself...this makes me bored eventually....it is not of course the fault of the pattern....however I have heard people complain about the properly made ones, with facings...apparently the facings show through.
I ended up doing all the hems by hand, because the fabric was so fine..the outside edge of the skirt is also hand sewn.
I have decided that sheer fabrics and I are not compatible...my hands are too clumsy...I constantly feel like I will do damage.
Anyway, it is not my favourite Colette pattern..... mind you, I love, love the others I have made, so I had high standards for this one to meet....but strangely, Colm says it is his favourite!!!
Speaking of Colm...I have been busy making a muslin for his Colette (what else?!) Negroni shirt..I am joining in with Peter's sew-along...I am finding the pace great...although I have decided to leave the shirt project as a side project, not my main project. I find I am very impatient with sew-alongs. Peter's wit is worth reading though...he brightens my day! He is getting through several steps of the pattern each day, a much better pace for me than some sew-alongs.
The fabric for the muslin is some awful old bedlinen...it won't even iron properly, but I have some lovely ex Paul Smith (supposedly) shirting for the real thing.
I learned something new about my husband...his shoulders are not even/level. I kept trying to straighten him and the shirt, but couldn't. I mentioned it when I posted the photos on Flickr, and Peter informed me that lots of men are like that...stands to reason, I suppose...most parts of our bodies are not symmetrical. My feet are different sizes...and a few other bits too.....
Oh yeah and that reminds me....I made this a while ago....
It is my usual Pin-up Girls Linda pattern. All supplies from Elingeria.