Thursday, November 21, 2013

A sideways move

All through my childhood I rode ponies and later as an adult, I rode horses. I always kept a horse or a pony...in fact I have worked with horses in various parts of the world....so when I sold my last horse to pay for my wedding, 12 years ago, I didn't think it would be very long until I bought another...how wrong was I! I have kept a few young horses over the years, but no riding horse. The children now have a couple of ponies, so during the summer, Colm suggested we go to go to the Dublin Horse Show in the RDS....you see I haven't been there in about 12 years, so we packed a picnic, arranged a guy to milk the cows that evening, and off we went. One of the things I wanted to see was the side saddle demonstration...it was so amazing that I decided there and then that I must fulfill a lifelong dream and I would try to find a way to ride side saddle...even once. I managed to go to a "Have a go day" in County Meath....I was sick with nerves in the run up to it. I did not feel any better when I realised that the horse I was about to ride was the horse that hurtled around Ring 2 at the RDS!!! He was an absolute gentleman with me on board though. Side saddle....I did it...and loved it! Since then I have managed to have a few more lessons on friends horses, mainly on a darling mare called Tex. Cantering Side Saddle on Tex. At one lesson we were lucky to have the amazing photograher, Jennifer O'Sullivan clicking away....she took such lovely photos. Jumping Tex So alhough I have not been sewing much lately, I have made myself a side saddle habit...I just need to get some photos of myself in it...on a horse! It is a tailored riding jacket, with a skirt/apron. I used a charcoal wool blend. Oh yes, and after all of this, I managed to buy myself a little horse...I walked away from her twice, but eventually went back and got her! She's Mine! Hopefully one day soon I will get to ride her side saddle, but for now I have a bit of work to do astride. I must apologise for the rubbish layout of this post, but blogger refuses to allow mw to sort it out....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! Good for you.

Anonymous said...

I used to ride a lot when I was a child and at Uni but once I got a job there was no time for anything so I haven't sat on a horse for years. I've always wanted to try side saddle but would stay on the flat - jumping side saddle looks far too precarious!

I did once see a pattern for a habit but I have no idea where - it was in the days before internet (!).

Your mare looks lovely - is she Welsh Mountain?

motherof5 said...

I am so happy that you are riding again Millie.

Jen said...

Stash Avalanche - I believe Suitability makes a sidesaddle skirt. I've not used it but I have used their patterns for half chaps and for breeches. I find them to be pretty well done. They also make a dressage coat pattern that includes a cutaway for sidesaddle.

Millie - looks like fun! I've never ridden sidesaddle and I've always wanted to try it.

Erica said...

It sounds wonderful Millie! Your horse is beautiful. I am looking forward to see your sewing as well since I've missed seeing your sewing.

Millie said...

Creativepursuits....Thank you so much!

Ana...juming is surprisingly secure(ish)! Like Jen said, Suitability make a habit pattern, and that is the one I used, although I had to make quite a few changes.
The mare is an oversize (15hh) registered Connemara.

Nicole...thank you so much...so am I!

You're right about the Suitability patterns. I used them for both the jacket and the apron, but I had to lengthen the jacket by 2 inches, and I had to alter the apron quite a bit. It was a good place to start though!

Thank you very much Erica ...Blogger and Flickr are both driving me nuts these days...sometimes sharing is made difficult! I will get photos and share though!

Jane M said...

Wow, what a whole new use for sewing skills. Loved your post and your enthusiasm. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I am so very green with envy Millie, I miss riding, one day, maybe. I am in awe of you making a habit. So awesome.

Cindy said...

I love that you are fulfilling a dream by learning to ride side saddle! It looks like a lot of fun.:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails