Sunday, February 5, 2012

Minoru Jacket

I recently bought the Minoru Jacket pattern from Sewbox in the UK. The pattern is designed by Sewaholic Patterns, and are specifically designed for pear-shaped ladies...now I am a lot of things, but pear-shaped, I am not. I measure a 14 for waist and bust, and an 8 for my hips, if that gives you any idea. Anyhow, I thought that the Minoru Jacket would be ok on me, but I did have reservations about the raglan sleeves and the gathers at the shoulders. I have quite broad straight shoulders with rounded tops to my arms. I took a chance anyway and got the pattern despite all of this.
I was determined to make it all out of my stash...it is bulging and I am not buying any fabric until I use some of what I have.

Minoru Jacket (view B)

So I chose a piece of grey/rust/beige printed corduroy and because I didn't have enough, I pulled out some matching plain grey cord. I had a brown zipper that was close enough to the tones and colours of the outer cord. I also had some lightweight polka dot grey cotton to line it with, although I thought in the beginning that this polka dot grey was too green, but it seems less so now that it is part of the overall jacket.

Minoru Jacket Inside

I traced the pattern, cut it all out and sewed it up over two parts of days.It came together quickly, although I had some issues working out how the collar went together. The instructions for View A are very comprehensive, but not so for the simpler View B...I think it was mostly tiredness that made me confused. A quick look at the sew-along that is going on on Sewaholic's blog cleared up my confusion.
I put plenty of interfacing into the collar, which makes it stand nicely on it's own.
I cut and made cuffs, but because the sleeves were already long enough without them, I tried one, but took it off. I am happy without them.I just hemmed and topstitched the cuffs.

Minoru Jacket (view B)
I wore it all day yesterday to swimming lessons, and tennis lessons with the kids. It was chilly and drizzly, I was quite cosy.

Minoru Jacket Back

I am still a little unsure about the shape on me. I think the shoulders with the gathers might not be the best shape for me, but it is such a great weight, that it won't stop me from wearing it!

13 comments:

Medr1e said...

Lovely coat, Millie! It looks great on you.

velosews said...

I'm so glad you were able to achieve this jacket in 2 days and with fabric from your stash. I've yet to cut mine out but will do it this weekend.
May I say you've done a splendid job.

justmejay said...

I really like it Millie :-)

Gill said...

Well I like it!!
I think it looks great on you!

Sadhbh @ Where Wishes Come From said...

I also think it looks great on you. Great job - as always!!

Nicole said...

Love the jacket on you, it looks fab!

Millie said...

Thank you Medrie, Justine, Gill, Sadhbh and Nicole. You're all very kind!

Thanks velosewer...I hope yours goes together quickly and smoothly!

Kath said...

I like it! I love the material and it does suit you, and yay for a warm coat.

Millie said...

Thanks so much Kath...it is getting plenty of wear!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Wow, great job on the jacket, I wouldn't even know where to start with that! Looks great (and cozy!), I love the fabric :-)

Millie said...

Thanks Sarah! I'm sure you'd be wel able! I'd highly recommend the pattern.

Róisín said...

Hello,
I've bought this pattern too and find it a bit daunting! But your post about it is very reassuring. And I'm impressed to managed to piece it together from your stash. I'm based in Ireland too and hope we'll be in touch some more about our projects! Good luck, Róisín

Millie said...

Hi Roisin! I hope your venture with this pattern goes well...it is a very useful coat. Give me a shout any time!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails