Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bra Making....Inspiring Places

I thought I would put together a list of a few places which I have found interesting and useful when it has come to making bras. ......................................................................... Heather's blog...lovely, helpful Heather, I think she may be planning a new tutorial sometime in the future, but she's also busy studying. Heather sews lingerie for herself, her mother, her friend and her daughter, and a few others besides! She has been a great help to me. ........................................................................ Sigrid- Sewing Projects...this lady sews amazing lingerie, and other clothes too. ........................................................................ There are several other blogs from The Netherlands, all in Dutch, but full of links and wonderful photos. This one and this one are good places to start looking. These blogs all link to one another, so you can just hop from one to the other. ........................................................................ This is a very helpful place, full of sewing tutorials, some specifically about making lingerie. These are really detailed tutorials...Bras from start to finish. Also various types of bra, partial band and full band, and lots more besides. Well worth a look. ........................................................................ There is a Dutch lingerie sewing forum, I have no idea what most of it's about, but if I see the word Foto, I click on it! ........................................................................ As for supplies.... ElingeriA is wonderful. They sell kits which are a great way to get the makings of one bra and two panties (hate that word!) (If I call them knickers, panties are what I mean). I think they run courses on lingerie making. They also sell a vast number of patterns too. ........................................................................ Kantje Boord looks wonderful, but from what I can gather, their postage is fairly steep. It's all in Dutch. I might get one of my Dutch friends to help me sometime to navigate this site. ......................................................................... Bra Makers Supply in Canada has kits too and lots of other great things. They also ahve a list of teachers who teach using their methods. ......................................................................... Danglez is a website which sells supplies, but they also make Bra and knicker patterns, and a wonderful swimsuit one too, which they sell in their own shop as well as in Elingeria. ......................................................................... Merckwaerdigh is another pattern and supply shop. They again sell through Elingeria too, but also have an interesting Ebay shop, where you can buy kits and swimsuit fabric, as well as grab-bags of elastic. ......................................................................... Otherwise, if you just google "bra making supplies", you'' find anything else available...there is a whle new world out there! ........................................................................ Finally there are a couple of books available on the subject...I own The Bra Makers Manual...it is absolutely fantastic! It comes as a CD or book. I chose the book, it's twice the price, but well worth it (to me) to be able to thumb through. Elingeria sell several other books. ........................................................................... These are just a few of the places that I have found inspiration from, or have bought from, or wished that I could have! If anyone knows of anywhere else that I should add, please let me know, I would happily add to the list. Also, if there is anything else you want to know about...let me know and I'll try and point you in the right direction if I can't answer myself.

13 comments:

San @ Made in Hem said...

Seems like we Dutchies sew the most lingerie! :)
I've looked at it but haven't found the courage to start yet...
If you ever need help with translations I'm willing to help when needed.
I can also look into products and send for postage costs.
Here you can find the postage http://www.tntpost.nl/voorthuis/brieven/brief-buitenland/
I know it's still pretty high...

Marian said...

Hello, I am honored that you make a link to my blog...
Thank you.
Have a nice week

Marian

Millie said...

Indeed you "Dutchies" do seem to make the most lingerie! Thanks for the link to the postage rates. I actually have several Dutch friends, But I never think to get them to help with translations. Thank you for the offer.
There are courses run in the Netherlands, if you ever did think of making your own lingerie.

Thanks Marian...and you're most welcome...have a nice week too.

Rachel said...

Thanks for all the info!

justmejay said...

More things to add to my list of sewing! (said as I sit here wearing the world's most uncomfortable bra!)

Marian said...

And after reading Sandra's answer... I buy somthimes my lycra or lace in England....:)it is high postage too :)

Millie said...

No problem Rachel!

Justine...the things we ladies put up with! It is tiring, wearing an uncomfortable bra, not to mention sore.

It's difficult to win with postage Marian...it always seems expensive.

Angela said...

Thanks for posting these links Millie. It looks like there's also some sources for swimwear fabric, which I have some vague notions of sewing with, before the summer.
Angela

Jos van KloskaCreAtief! said...

Thanks for recommending my blog, I will return tjhe favor soon! We cannot promote the joy of making lingerie enough on the www!

Millie said...

No problem Angela. The new Ottobre has a very nice swimsuit pattern. I like making Maeve her swimsuits, the Ottobre pattern that I use, covers well.

No problem Jos...like you say, if only people knew how much fun it is!

Unknown said...

Hi Millie,

I've been doing a lot of reading regarding bra making when I came upon your site. This post was wonderful and full of information. I'd be delighted if you could give a bit more info regarding your thoughts on the Bra Maker's Manual, as I'm considering purchasing it, myself and shipping to Israel is always an arm and a leg...
Could you give some more detail to the quality of the instructions and images? Does it really teach you enough to make your own bras? Are there any other books or online courses you could reccommend?

Thanks a million!
Roni

Millie said...

Hi Roni. I really was amazed at how detailed the Bra Makers manual is. It explains in great detail, how different types of bra work...hard to explain, but yes extremely informative...it tells you things you didn't even think you needed to know!
If you can sew, it will tell you how to make a bra.
There is a version of it on disk too, which is half the price, and cheaper to post. I have the book though. I love to leaf through it. There are over 200 pages.
It tells you about how a bra is put together, the various parts, how to alter each part. How to trouble-shoot. It shows how to change a basic bra into...Nursing bras, sports bras, strapless, longline. It also gives ideas for adding interest to basic bras.
There are loads of clear, good line drawings, and some photos, which are great too, but mainly line drawings...the photos are only for inspiration.
I have to say that if you are thinking of a book, it's brilliant.
I only used a pattern to learn, but the book made me understand why I was doing what I was doing.
I hope this helps a bit.

EliMeenah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails