Friday, November 5, 2010
Ottobre Winter Coats
I have been slogging away at winter coats for the three younger children. T has been wearing the same coat to preschool and school for 3 years now, so he needed one badly. I made the girls two Sparrow coats form Ottobre 4/09. I made size 86cm last year and the girls are now 92cm and they just about fit them.
I made them size 92cm this year. I debated for a very long time about these. I ended up using some corduroy from Dots'n'Stripes. The lining is quilting cotton, I think it's by Hoody for Blank Quilting...long story about how I got it.
They are interlined with cotton batting. The ribbing came all the way from Finland from Myllymuksut. They have a massive array of colours of ribbing, amongst other things.
There are meant to be pockets in the front, which I left off. They are a bit puffy at the moment, but I'm sure the girls won't be long about knocking the corners off them. I love the pixie hoods on them. They make the tantrums a bit easier to bear!!!
Tadhg's coat is the Dennis Duffle from Otobre 6/07. The shell is an unknown fabric given to me by a friend, but originally from Fabricland (mind your eyes). She told me at the time that it was too green for her...I didn't know there was such a thing!
He loves it so much.... why wouldn't he be, when he hasn't had a new coat for 3 years...!
I made the toggles, I bought the buttons locally and used shoe laces and leather from my mother for the triangles. They should be more centred, but I'm hoping no-one will notice, I mis-judged where they should fasten and so had to move the 2nd side. It is lined with olive lining and interlined with wool (aka an old blanket). The hood, pockets and tabs etc are lined with quilting cotton, just a fat quarter in fact. I asked his opinion on it and he informed my it was a bit too Autumn-ish and not Wintery enough..it has acorns and oak leaves on it!
This is him waiting for the bus, to wear it to school for the first time. I told my husband how ridiculously excited he was and he reminded me that there are lots of kids who wouldn't wear anything hand-made!
PS...I forgot to mention the extra closure on T's coat. I retro-fitted a zip(per) to the inside of it, if I had considered it on time it could easily be added into the seam on the left I used the stitching on the right to sew it on that side. It just seals it all up a bit better, I think anyway.