I promised my kids a long time ago I'd make them new underwear ...hoping to be in time for school. School started last week.....
I have made these Ottobre knickers and boxers a
couple of times now and my kids will choose these over bought ones any time. These new ones will bring their collection up to 8 each. They take a while to make, especially the boxers.
So this time I tried a few short-cuts....
I didn't use binding for the leg cuffs or to enclose the seams on the boxers. I hemmed the leg openings with a zigzag. I sewed the seams inside out, as per the instructions, but I just topstitched them down.
I made the girls ones with boxer-style elastic on the waist too. I thought it would be nice for a change. I got all the elastic from
www.elingeria.de a while ago. It seems to be really good. I look forward to hearing how the kids like it. There is another girls pair, identical to the stripey pink ones, but they got stolen away from the sewing machine as soon as it had sewed the last stitch! Thats how much they love their old ones!
All the fabric I used to make these was from old T-shirts. Lots of people give us hand-me-downs from their kids, and while I'm usually thrilled with the them, quite often we get T-shirts for Maeve that I don't like much...ones that have pictures of girls or sparkles and always with stupid phrases..like..."Girls with Attitude". Or ones that were brought home from a family holiday...not our family's holiday, theirs! So I have used these in the past to make underwear and it makes me feel better to put them to good use than to recycle them to who-knows-where!
By the way speaking of underwear patterns...I see Amanda is giving away a unisex underwear pattern over at Kitschy-coo...they are really great....go have a look for yourself.