I traced the pattern while he was in school put didn't dare cut them out, because a final decision hadn't been made on fabric. He had his eye on something totally unsuitable, of course. So when he got home I had a little chat about how the tougher fabric would suit a 'tough' boy like him, etc, etc..
So yesterday evening I set about cutting them out and sewing them up. I was only thinking how well they were going.. when things started to go pear-shaped. At one stage I had sewn the zipper completely closed. Not a good idea. So.... time to go to bed!
Today I got back to them. They were not difficult to do, they just have lots of steps to follow. I'm really happy with how they turned out. I used a Kaffe Fasset cotton as the facing fabric. I also put two button holes in the facing in case I needed to put in some bottonhole elastic....I did, because as usual I would rather make something on the big side than make it too small. I'm never sure whether or not this is a good idea.
The fabric that Ottobre used was a distressed corduroy, all wrinkled... a bit like mine really. This was a shop soiled remnant that I bought in my local fabric shop a while ago. I joked with the owner about how I get my children to rub chocolate into certain bolts, so that I can buy it reduced in the future...I don't really, but it is a thought! The wrinkles are purely from my lack of ironing it thoroughly after I washed the chocolate marks out of it. Oh well, might as well start as I mean to go on!
The button is from my button jar, Tadhg is suitably impressed by it. I'm not surprised!
I didn't put on the fancy red stitching, the instructions were a bit vague for this and I was happy enough not to. Also I don't have any rivets for jeans, but if I get some I can add them later.
On Sunday evening I ordered a new pattern, Onion 20022, as recommended by Astrid. She has made lots of beautiful things from this pattern and I thought it would be worth a try. Raglan sleeved tops suit my little girls really well, the Kukkopilli blouses I made almost a year ago are still going strong but a pull-over style would be easier. Hopefully I will still get some things made for Maeve from it too, she wears a size 128cm and the pattern is from 92cm to 128cm.....We'll see.