Friday, July 2, 2010

Holidays Behind Us...




Well, We're back from our much anticipated trip to Scotland for a camping trip. We had a ball! We had quite a bit of driving to get to Comrie Croft near Creiff. 3.5 hours to Belfast and the same to the campsite on the other side and a two hour ferry crossing in between. The kids were really good.
They slept really well every night, which was one of my big worries...the little ones have been sleeping really badly recently. All the staff were really nice at the campsite and the facilities were brilliant. Hot showers, better than the ones at home!
Our pitch for our tent was one of my least favourite pitch when I saw it first, but once I got used to it, it was perfect.......


with views to die for.....

We arrived on Saturday and the campsite was full to capacity, but on Sunday the whole place emptied...we wondered if it was something we'd said!?
I had arranged with Nicole to come and visit on Sunday...Nicole and I had, up until then, only had conversations by email and one or two by telephone. When I mentioned that we were going camping to Comrie, we decided that maybe we could meet up...I was nervous...what if we had nothing to talk about? I needn't have worried...Nicole was lovely and we spent a long time chatting about all sorts..sewing and children mainly but other things besides. Our husbands being the gentlemen that they are, watched the children while they played nearby. Nicole and Alan's daughter Leoni is beautiful. I don't think my four children all together have the energy of that girl! She cart-wheeled her way everywhere! Nicole's husband Alan was, as I said earlier, a real Gent, like my Colm, he seemed really easy-going and was just happy to let us ladies sit and chat, and drink instant coffee out of plastic mugs...we were camping don't forget! It was a real pleasure to meet all of them and hopefully we'll meet again some day.

We tried not to do too much travelling while we were there...no need really...we went to a wildlife centre nearby...(which was pretty dire, in our opinion ) And to a falconry place, where the big kids and I got fly an eagle owl.... very exciting!


We went to Loch Earn...where the adults tried to teach the children how to skim stones...



And to the local park...where we had some more free fun...nearly everything on holidays seems to cost you money....don't you find?







And finally on the last evening...we decided to visit Drummond Castle..not knowing much about it and not expecting much....Wow! The avenue alone in was worth a visit! But the whole place was so beautiful..so immaculately kept...


The children's main cource of amusement was all the naked staues!

So all in all it was a brilliant holiday. (apart from the midge bites!)

11 comments:

said...

Good you had a great holiday!

Have a good weekend,

Nina

Nicole said...

It's nice to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and the two hours we had chatting away weren't enough, if you ask me :-) It was lovely meeting you all in person and maybe we get the chance to do it again one day...

Heather said...

Oh, it all sounds wonderful! So glad you had a lovely trip and you're home safe!

Joy said...

I'm glad you had a nice getaway. I'm a teensy bit jealous of that beautiful landscape - those pictures almost look fake! My husband and I drove through that area about 12 years ago. Good memories - despite the "memorable" disagreements we had in trying to navigate Edinburgh traffic!

Millie said...

Nina..Thanks...enjoy your weekend, especially the celebrations!

Nicole...We certainly did enjoy the rest of the holiday, very much..and you're right, two hours wasn't nearly enough! It would be lovely to meet up again someday, for sure.

Thanks Heather! And secretly kind of glad to be home in a real bed...with a real stove...and a washing machine!

Wow Joy...Imagine that! Oh it really was so beauitful...I'm sure you have fond memories...and I understand the not so fond ones! We did quite well on the navigating this time around!

Cindy said...

Glad that you had a great trip and that the kids did so well camping. That's so cool that you visited Drummond castle. Supposedly, my dad's side of the family is descended from that particular John Drummond. Don't know for sure if it's true or just family lore as I haven't traced my ancestry that far back yet but it's nice to pretend!:)

Millie said...

Beachgirl...I wouldn't mind being a descendant of the Drummonds...what a place! I'd keep up that story for sure..true or not!

Sascha said...

Hooray for naked statues!

Astrid said...

It looks wonderful - and how fun that you had a chance to meet up with Nicole - wish I'd been there! Isn't it funny how you're always nervous right before those kinds of occasions, and you're almost always proven wrong! :) Your pictures and your children are beautiful!a

Millie said...

Thanks Astrid..it was lots of fun meeting Nicole. The kids loved the holiday and I think it shows in the photos. We just stuck to things that they'd enjoy...that way everyone is happy..ish!

Millie said...

Mom of Three...I agree...Naked staues are great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails